Wednesday, April 22, 2009

School Pizza..........Yum..Yum

Pizza!


One of the nice things about our son's school is that they will let you come and eat lunch with your kids. I always find this to be a real treat. If your children's or grand children's school does not advertise they will let you do this, give them a call and see if you can. Even if it's only once or twice a year I find it to be a real treat.

As to the point of the post, when I visit my son ( I got married later than most, so it has been a while since I've been in an elementary school) I go through the line and buy a lunch. One of the meals served is pizza. Although it has been many years and I attended a school in another state, the pizza they served in my son's school tasted identical to the pizza I used to get. The first bite of that pizza sent my memory, such as it is, zipping back in time to when I was my boy's age.

One other aspect of these visits that is kind of neat is that although the kids have a limited fund of knowledge due to their age, they can still be pretty clever. It is amazing how many different ways kids eat their pizza. My son will sometimes turn his pizza over and eat it, however, on today's visit, he ate the cheese topping off the pizza and then dumped his Goldfish snack on the dough, folded it over and made a sandwich out of it. It is part of the fun of the visit to just sit and watch what the kids will do.

There was always something about school pizza. The thick crust was doughy, the sauce was bland, but sweet, and the cheese (that is one thing that they did not skimp on) was a bit crispy on top, but gooey on the inside. (think creme brulee) I have never been to any pizza shop or ever had any store bought pizza that was identical in taste and texture to school pizza. I guess part of the appeal of school pizza was the fact that you were getting only the basics; no artisan crust, no freshly spiced sauce and no imported Italian mozzarella cheese..........just the basics. Nothing special about the smell of school pizza either, and yet......................chewy, cheesy bliss.

This is one thing the homeschoolers miss out on. Anyone who has ever been to public school and eaten school pizza can immediately relate to this. (and hopefully have some fond memories as well)

I hope the photos and the post bring back some good memories for everyone. Enjoy!!

Ready for the oven...........
mmmmmmmmm... The pizza getting served


Goldfish and pizza sandwich.


No comments:

Post a Comment